Is a party really a party if tequila isn’t involved? This fiesta burger recipe featuring Olly’s juicy chicken burgers is the perfect excuse to meet up with all of your friends and buy a new bottle of tequila…for the sauce of course.
I always think of salsa as the Mexican version of what we Maltese put on bruschetta. Tomatoes and onions remain its main components, but the addition of creamy avocado, tangy coriander and a shock of lime juice really take it to a whole different level. Since chicken has a mild flavour, it can be used as a vehicle to take on these kinds of strong flavours, and thus this recipe was created. The salsa only takes a few minutes to make, however it can be made ahead and left in the fridge until needed. However, if you do plan on making this ahead, follow the recipe as provided, but only add in the avocado chunks before serving since it’s quite a delicate fruit and can go bad easily!
The main problem with chicken in general is that it has a tendency to dry out, especially in situations such as a BBQ where things tend to be left on the grill a bit too long. This problem has been absolutely trumped by Olly’s chicken burgers. A lovely, crunchy coating on the outside gives way to juicy, tender chicken on the inside. They can be cooked on a grill very easily; my only suggestion would be to defrost them beforehand to get the best results. However, if you decide to bake them you can just pop them in the oven straight from the freezer. I like to cook these on high heat, in order to get a super crunchy coating.
We finally get to the part with the alcohol; this tequila-lime mayo is insane! Not only is it so easy to make, but it binds the flavours in this burger together perfectly. Since the alcohol isn’t being cooked out, I would recommend using the best quality tequila you have in this, such as a gold tequila rather than the normal white tequila. An easy way to get the most out of your limes is to roll them with the palm of your hand against your workbench – this gets the juices flowing and leaves you with more bang for your buck! Just as with the salsa, this can be made before-hand or in batches to use as you please. If you’re feeding a non-alcoholic crowd, you can leave the tequila out, add some lemon zest as well and make a doubly-zesty mayo.
- 1 packet Olly’s chicken burgers
- 4 brioche buns
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- bunch of coriander, chopped
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tbsp mayonnaise
- zest of 1 lime + juice of ½
- 1 tbsp tequila
- Defrost Olly’s chicken burgers in the fridge the night before.
- In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, juice and zest of one lime and a touch of salt and pepper. Add the chopped avocado, tomato, onion and coriander and toss lightly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the mayo, in a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, zest of one whole lime + juice of ½ of a lime, tequila and a touch of salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- Brush a grill with some oil and heat on medium-high heat. Cook the chicken burgers for 5 minutes on each side, until crispy.
- Transfer the burger onto the bottom bun, drizzle with 2 tbsp tequila-lime mayo and top with fresh salsa.